Indian Falls United Methodist Church
June 9, 1862 the male members of the community of Tonawanda Falls met in a schoolhouse to organize a Methodist Episcopal Church, establishing it under the jurisdiction of the Genesee Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The original membership numbered twelve. This new building was erected on the Griswold place and dedicated on October 10, 1863. Ten years later with a membership of forty, it was decided to move the church, north, up the hill and rededicate it.
For the first eight years, services were held fortnightly with
an Oakfield pastor in charge. A sharing of ministers with
the Alabama charge followed and the first of our 28 full-time
pastors began in 1898.
The original church was raised in 1912 to provide a basement.
In the early thirties a need for more room to carry on the work of
the church became evident. By June 1944, the need was stronger
and finances more promising. The initiation of a church-building
project by the congregation in July 1945 resulted in a most
successful financial canvas. In March of 1947, the Rochester
District committee approved the building plans and the next month
ground was broken. In June the cornerstone was placed. The
following January our name was changed to the Indian Falls
Methodist Church and properly recorded. In February of 1948 the
first service was held in the new edifice with one hundred forty in
attendance. This debt-free church was dedicated on May 16, 1948.